Position: Senior Estimator - Commercial
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Yates is proud to be an industry leader in construction and engineering services. To be a top of class organization, Yates is dedicated to hiring individuals who understand the importance of safety; instills integrity in all aspects of their lives; are passionate about what they do; and committed to providing value to our clients.
This position will be responsible for the accurate and timely preparation for commercial construction project proposals and bids. Identify and computes labor, material, and time costs by studying proposals, blueprints, specifications and other bid documents.
- Minimum 10 years previous commercial construction estimating experience with public, private or federal projects is required
- Significant knowledge and experience on CM/GC, CMaR, Design Build projects, complex competitive bid projects, conceptual estimating and preconstruction services.
- Proven track record of success working internally with an operations team, upper management and externally with Owners, Architects/Engineers, and subcontractors.
- B.S. Degree – Construction Management, Construction Engineering or Civil Engineering
Skills and Abilities
- Forward thinking, progressive, dynamic leader who has excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- Knowledge of construction market including pricing conventions and trends
- Well-rounded base of knowledge in construction disciplines
- Thorough understanding of project logistics and project schedules.
- Ability to read and understand construction specifications and drawings.
- Strong knowledge of standard estimating practices.
- Excellent oral and written business communication skills.
- Ability to identify and manage people to accomplish required objectives
- Comfortable in presentations and project interviews.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and handle pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and a positive attitude always.
- Ability to get along with different personalities and be a fully contributing team player.
- Familiarity / Proficiency with the following software programs:
On-Screen Takeoff by On Center Software
Microsoft Office Programs
Day-to-day responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare estimates with the necessary level of detail for all design stages:
- Program/Conceptual, Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documents.
- Prepare quantity take-offs and estimated costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract from simple to complex. Prepare quantity take-offs and estimates in detail for self-performed work (Selective demolition, Concrete, steel erection, carpentry, etc.)
- Evaluate labor pricing/production for specific projects and/or locations; demonstrate proficiency in material, labor, sub and equipment pricing for all trade disciplines.
- Assemble general conditions estimates for review by Operations Manager, Chief Estimator and/or Senior Project Manager
- Assist with maintaining the estimating cost data base to ensure costs are up to date.
- Manage job-specific estimating teams in the assembly and submission of bids.
- Prepare Estimate Action List; establish responsibilities and make assignments to estimating team members; coordinate and supervise work; establish schedule for completion of tasks to meet project requirements; keep Chief Estimator advised regarding schedule.
- Review estimate assignments to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to formal submission.
- Consult with clients, architects, subcontractors, and material suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, effect cost reductions, and resolve issues.
- Study specifications to assist the operations team in planning procedures for construction.
- Research construction documents and analyze specifications to determine estimated costs.
- Work with the operations team throughout the preconstruction process in reviewing plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining general requirements on the project.
- Understand how to create proper bid packages, bid alternate strategies and value engineering.
- Ensure that all work items from scope review are included in estimate and that cost trail from bids to Bid Package Scope Analysis Worksheets to estimate is clear and correct.
- Prepare clear, properly formatted, Bid Package Scope Analysis Worksheets; review Bid Analysis Worksheets prepared by others for coordination.
- Manage the subcontractor solicitation process. Issue bid invitations to subcontractors/vendors - Ensure adequate bid coverage for each trade package; generate interest and get commitments on subcontractor participation; obtain local participation to meet project needs.
- Review subcontractor and supplier bids for conformity to contract requirements and determine acceptable bids.
- Present and explain project budgets to clients, designers, and operations teams. Lead estimate presentations with client and design team.
- Perform comprehensive bid day analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades.
- Understand how to scale subs to the size/scope of the project.
- Communicate with subcontractors on key issues, such as project schedule, addenda, scope of work, and other bid information.
- Ensure that there is proper trade package coverage of subcontractors on bid day.
- Ensure that all quantity surveys and pricing are accurate and complete.
- Seek and qualify new subcontractors.
- High-rise structures including condominiums, apartments, and office
- Industrial manufacturing
- Federal & military construction
- Gaming and entertainment
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. EOE/Vets/Disabilities/M/F
Yates performs heavy construction and building work throughout the United States and relocation is sometimes required for continuous employment opportunities.