The Rock Mechanics Engineer will provide technical support to the mines by ground control and working with the mines to improve drilling, blasting, pillar extraction and ground support practices that maximizes the total value available from the resources located at multiple mine sites. This position reports to the Chief Engineer.
Pillar extraction (recovery) project
- Developing and updating design parameters that include pillar recovery project.
- Responsible to design and monitor seismic monitoring system at ETN mines.
- Responsible for coordinating the creation, implementation and periodic review of mine ground control program.
- Coordinate pillar recovery and ground control with Safety & Health and Mine Operations to ensure compliance with 30 CFR
- Coordinate with drill and blast contractors for execution and implementation of pillar recovery project.
- Project management through SAP to ensure successful cost allocation
Drilling Blasting Scaling and Ground Support
People and Organization
- Monitor ground conditions, over break, and pillar locations on a regular basis
- Assist mine operations to improve drilling, blasting, and scaling practices to improve ground support cycle.
- Coordinate annual outside review on ground control plan and practices
- Responsible for coordinating creation, implementation and review of mine specific ground control plans for review by the outside Geomechanic.
- Investigate, propose and trial alternate ground control methods to improve safety, productivity and costs.
Safety, Health, Environment and Community
- Support the team to build requisite structures
- Work with the team to ensure the long term viability of the team
- Support team members in their personal development
- Proactively seeks to understand the roles and the needs of other team members
- Actively participate in team discussions and decisions
- Maintain a cost conscious approach
- Provide specialist technical advice to the team in areas of competence
- Work with the team to seek options and to anticipate future requirements related to all accountabilities associated with this role
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate communications and relationships within the MTS department
- Establish and maintain appropriate communications between the MTS department and other departments by building appropriate relationships and a be-of-service approach
- Promote and demonstrate safe behavior at all times
- Comply with the site’s standards and procedures in SHEC
- Demonstrate effective performance in achieving agreed SHEC goals in support of the department, site and company standards
- Demonstrates leadership in SHEC through personal behaviors and conversations, and report all SHEC incidents and participate in SHEC initiatives
- Take responsibility for the safety of all personnel, including yourself, at Nyrstar Tennessee Mines
- Develops plans and schedules in consideration of Statutory requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering (MSc is a plus)
- Minimum 4 years in the underground mining industry preferably in an engineering role
- Having passed the FE or possessing a PE is a plus
- Self-motivated, energetic and proactive
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness and personal organization
- Good time management and prioritization skills
- Results driven achiever with exemplary planning and organization skills
- Strong communication and uses effective methods and approaches to persuade, convince, or influence others.
- Working knowledge of practical rock mechanics/roof control techniques for shallow dipping ore bodies (experience with FLAC is a plus)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Project, Word, and SAP. (Access or other data base programs beneficial)
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD required