The ideal candidate will possess an advance degree in Mining Engineering and project management experience related to rock mechanics, with 5 years of relevant experience in underground operating mines. The Project Engineer will be responsible for leading project management efforts to support CapEX underground mining projects. This role will also be responsible for collaborating with mine maintenance and mine operations to ensure success of projects. The Project Engineer will also be required to develop safe efficient mining methods in a new challenging mining horizon. This position reports to the Chief Engineer - ETN.
- THE ROLE
The purpose of this role is to manage Capital project across ETN mines. The project engineer is expected to set up projects in SAP and work closely with the production teams to ensure their success during planning and execution stages and also in line with company’s goals, objectives and standards.
Mine Technical Services
- KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
People and Organization
- Visible underground presence while actively monitoring the status and progress of active underground mine workings and assuring that appropriate ground support measures are being utilized for safe and efficient production and to build relationships with mine production teams
- Lead role in monitoring maintenance and expansion of the micro seismic system to support blasting, stope stability, and pillar extraction
- Provide guidance and coaching to short term planning/scheduling to ensure alignment with longer term goals pertaining to project management
- Liaise routinely across the MTS and Mining departments to understand their needs and provide advice for capital expenditure and forecasting.
- Provide opportunity and work with relevant stakeholders to review, understand and provide a constructive input into the capital development
- Manage capital project through SAP and provide detailed weekly, monthly forecast
- Ensure capital projects are fully executed below budget in a timely manner per scope of work
- Prepare detailed project plan and adhere to Nyrstar safety standards during execution phase
Safety, Health, Environment and Community
- Ensure there is a relationship between the MTS and Mining departments by maintaining appropriate communication channels and a be-at-service approach
- Ensure employees are trained and held accountable for roles
- Provide input for performance management, career development and succession planning of team personnel
- Consistently apply workplace management procedures to ensure compliance with policies, procedures, agreed values and behaviors and Nyrstar’s Code of Conduct
- Appropriately prioritize and allocate your activities to continuously achieve targets
- Take responsibility to implement processes / systems within your team to align with the Business Plan and assist in exceeding expectations
- Self-motivated, energetic and proactive
- Ability to create an environment in which people want to do their best by empowering individuals and teams and by communicating a clear vision and purpose
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness and personal organization
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Ensure team practices support effective employee relations
- Comply with statutory / legislative requirements
- Develop and ensure that SHEC guidelines and procedures are included in area plans, decision making, systems and processes
- Promote awareness and deliver work area targets to prevent injury
- Achieve or surpass safety objectives for your work area
- Act in accordance with Nyrstar SHE Policies and Safety Management Standards
- Be accountable for safety, health and environment activities with your team
- Promote and monitor fitness for work compliance throughout your workforce
- Conduct business of your work area in exemplary manner in terms of ethical, commercial, legislative and community expectations and requirements.
- Promote a high level of safety and environmental awareness amongst your team
- BS Mining Engineering or Engineering, MS preferred
- Minimum 5 years in the underground mining industry and project management
- Familiar with Microsoft Project and SAP
- Basic functionality in ACAD
- Prior project management experience responsible for projects of $5M or more
- Ability to evaluate risk and mitigation opportunities to ensure safe production.
- Sound understanding of the functions required to maintain multiple projects across three sites.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Ability to persuade, convince and influence others
- Effective project management skills
- Experience/knowledge to plan the detailed execution steps of a project
- Good time management and prioritization skills