LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother in law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters were moved to the current address at 1111 Wilson in 1943. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITY: Asphalt Construction Distributor Operator- CDL Required
This position transports and operates the asphalt distributor truck. In addition, the employee may be required to operator one or more types of construction equipment as they apply to paving operations, and other various operational field duties. Operators are responsible for safe operation, non-mechanical maintenance and up-keep of equipment.
- Discusses plans and goals for the day's work with crew foreman and determines best method of getting assigned work done safely, productively and on time.
- Performs physical duties that are commonly associated with the safe and productive operation of said piece of equipment.
- Performs equipment maintenance duties such as cleaning, greasing and maintaining fluid levels on equipment.
- Operates equipment with priority of making the job safe for all persons working around the equipment.
- Communicates clearly with other crew members in a manner commensurate with teamwork in order to accomplish daily goals.
- Properly follow all company policies and OSHA / MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment.
- Assist construction / paving crew with various duties such as shoveling and raking, digging, spreading and leveling construction materials.
- Lift, carry and hold materials, tools and supplies.
- Assist in the placement, moving and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control devices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
- Must be able to work overtime, nights, and weekends as needed at various times throughout the year.
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in heavy construction.
- Must have Class B CDL with tanker endorsement.
- Must have a safe and clean driving record.
- Must be able to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced environment in challenging situations and locations.
- Must have the ability and be willing to work outside in extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able and willing to walk, stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor including lifting items at least as heavy as 50 pounds.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment (post offer) drug screen, background, motor vehicle records check and DOT physical.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.